Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How This Blog Came To Be

I am a teacher in a rather unconventional school. Although I teach the 9th grade, I don't see my students faces each morning, I don't have a planning time or have to hit the school cafeteria if I forget my lunch. I teach my students online.

Though this may sound easier than the traditional classroom, I assure you it is not. In fact, I truly feel that teaching in an online environment is far more challenging than the teaching I did in the classroom. I have quickly learned that I need to think like a student to identify questions they will have even before they have them (be a mind reader and fortune teller all in one), be available nearly 24/7 by phone or email, be aware of my students' cultural and religious beliefs, and be prepared for just about anything. I also need to be fully aware of the Technology Standards and how to incorporate them into my classroom. Because of this, I have found several "Web 2.0" tools that can be used in my class to save time, engage students and further their learning. I have also found that when I share some of my favorite tools, other teachers get very excited (even if they teach in a traditional classroom.) I decided to start this blog to share these tools and how I use them, and hope if you are reading this and want to share you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment